Available only at Yuba-Sutter
Relax after your workout
Work hard, then recover in our dry saunas located in the Yuba-Sutter locker room.
Not only does time in a dry sauna help with muscle recovery after a hard work out, it also provides other health benefits.
- Cools your body Intense work out sessions increase your body temperature. Sweat is your body’s way of cooling down so you don’t get overheated.
- Helps the heart Exposure to high temperature helps blood vessels expand, improving circulation and lowering blood pressure.
- Relieves pain and fatigue People who suffer from chronic muscle and joint pain often experience relief.
- Aids building muscle High performance athletes know that muscle recovery is as important as build up. Muscle fibers get small tears during heavy work outs. Sauna time allows those fibers to recover and become strong more quickly.
- Burns calories Because your heart rate is elevated during sauna time, you burn calories more quickly. It’s important to note, however, that sauna alone will not aid in weight loss.
- Removes toxins When you sweat, your body sends toxins out with it. Time in the sauna helps remove toxins and waste from your body.
Dehydration is the greatest risk. The average person can lose about a pint of sweat during a short sauna session. It’s important to replace that fluid loss. Pay attention to mild signs of dehydration:
- Mouth dryness
- Extreme thirst
- Not urinating as often or very concentrated urine
The sauna is not safe for people with chronic conditions like diabetes, kidney disease, and heart failure. Check with your doctor if you have a chronic disease or are pregnant before using a sauna.
Keep your summer color for year round
Need a little color in your skin? Choose from our high performance stand up or traditional lay down beds to enjoy that beach look year round. Affordable packages available for gym members or non-members at our Yuba-Sutter location. Get goggles and Salon Brand lotion in our pro-shop.
What to expect
Tanning in a tanning bed is not the same as being outside in the sun. If you haven’t used a tanning bed before, or if it’s been awhile since your last session, follow these tips:
- Shower, shave and exfoliate a day or two before tanning
- Apply a non-oil based light moisturizer immediately after showering
- Check prescriptions to make sure they don’t increase skin sensitivity to UV rays
- Apply lip balm with SPF protection
- Remove makeup and jewelry
- Avoid heavy perfumes and essential oils
- Start with the lowest tanning setting and work your way up
- Start with 3-5 minutes and gradually increase tanning time during subsequent sessions
- Use lotion specifically designed for tanning beds and apply evenly
- Wear whatever you’re comfortable wearing, or wear nothing
- Always wear protective eyewear – closing your eyes or putting a towel over them does not protect your retinas from excessive amounts of UV exposure
- Change position to ensure full tanning coverage
- A 24 hour resting period between tanning sessions allows you to maximize your color and skin care
Using a tanning extender ensures longer lasting results by hydrating your skin. Tanning one to three times a week helps maintain your shade.
Cocktail tanning combines spray tan with the tanning bed. The tanning bed uses UV rays to increase melatonin production. Melatonin is what turns your skin brown. The heat from the bed opens your pores. Spray tanning immediately after a tanning bed session allows the sunless spray solution to go into your open pores for a darker, deeper, longer-lasting tan.